Tuesday 28 April 2015

The Quake!!

Okay, so there I was at my motorbike mechanic’s workshop, briefing him through the work that is to be done on my bike and suddenly the ground starts shaking, at first I thought it is probably because of all the machinery being used but when I started people vacating the workshop I realise “Crap, it’s a quake”! Just like every other living soul in the building we got out and heaved a sigh of relief. But that wasn’t it, the news started flowing in of a bigger quake in Delhi, then UP, Bihar and finally about the epicentre in Nepal.
Nepal, entrance to the mighty Himalayas, the abode of Gods!
A land which is blessed with the best of what nature has to offer, Mecca of mountaineers, home to the famous Gurkha and Sherpas. A land I have longed to ride to for a long time, but somehow none of the plans materialised.
I resumed my work, got the bike fixed and by the time I got home I was left heartbroken. It was an earthquake of great magnitude, 7.9 to be precise. I tried obtaining any and every information I could and with every piece of news, every photograph the melancholy increased which ultimately turned into a wistful grief.
The worst earthquake in 80 years, not a single one but a series of quakes which continues till today destroyed almost every part of the densely populated Kathmandu Valley and Pokhara city, many architectural marvels of Nepal have been completely destroyed, the ones remaining are damaged beyond repair. The death toll has risen to 2200 by the time I started writing. Even Mount Everest hasn’t been spared by the wrath of nature, avalanches have killed 17 people, and the ones surviving are stranded at the ruins of a place that used to be called the ‘base camp’ a day back. It is not just Nepal but a large part of Tibet, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have been affected.
It is times like this when my depleting faith in humanity is restored, almost every country has raised hands for help, and different agencies are working insistently to reach out for the relief work. A lot is being done at war scale to help the people in Nepal. I guess everyone should do their bit, no matter how small it is.
Such incidents make me wonder how small we are, how insignificant out wants and desires are and how naive it is for craving for money and power. Even I am infested with the material desires and wants, I also want to be a certain someone, but times like this gives me a reality check. At times I fuss about what I don’t have and forget to cherish what God has already blessed me with and these are the times that make me realise that although I should keep working for getting up the materialistic ladder but I shouldn’t forget to savour and cherish the blessing of God I already have. It is because of such tragedies’ I know that I am not wrong when I strive day in day out to get my loved ones back, I know it is worth all the sufferings to make your loved ones happy. I know I will keep trying till I am!!

My heart goes out to the ones who have lost something or the other in the earthquake. I pray for you, I thank God for saving the ones who have survived. Cities will resurface; buildings will be made again, but the lives lost are lost. May the God give you strength to withstand this time...

Amen!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment